Tuesday, March 3, 2009

What does the Bible say about fear?

Two specific types of fear:
A. Fear of God
- beneficial
- a reverential awe of God, a reverence for His power and glory
- proper respect for His wrath and anger
- brings with it many blessings and benefits

Psalm 111:10 it says, “The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom; all who follow his precepts have good understanding. To him belongs eternal praise.”

Proverbs 1:7 it says, “The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline.”

Thus we see how both wisdom and knowledge begin with fear of the Lord.

Proverbs 19:23 it says, “The fear of the LORD leads to life: Then one rests content, untouched by trouble.”

Proverbs 14:27, “The fear of the LORD is a fountain of life, turning a man from the snares of death.”

Proverbs 14:26 states, “He who fears the LORD has a secure fortress, and for his children it will be a refuge.”


B. Spirit of fear
- detriment
- to be overcomed

2 Timothy 1:7 says, “For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind” (NKJV).

1 John 4:18 tells us, “There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.”

Isaiah 41:10 encourages us “'Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, Surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.”

Daniel 10:12, the angel of the Lord encourages Daniel: “Then he continued, ‘Do not be afraid, Daniel. Since the first day that you set your mind to gain understanding and to humble yourself before your God, your words were heard, and I have come in response to them.’”

Jesus says, “So don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows” (Matthew 10:31). Just these few verses cover many different types of fear.

God tells us not to be afraid of being alone, of being too weak, of not being heard, and not to be afraid for our physical necessities.

However, these “do not be afraid’s” are dependent upon our ability to put our trust and faith in the Lord.

Psalm 56:11 the psalmist writes, “in God I trust; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?”

The key to overcoming fear, then, is total and complete trust in God.

Trusting God is a refusal to give into fear.

The psalmist said , “…let all those rejoice who put their trust in You; Let them ever shout for joy, because You defend them; Let those also who love Your name Be joyful in You" (Psalm 5:11).

(Adapted from gotquestions.org website)

My Conclusion:
Fear = no JOy
Perfect love = no Fear
Perfect Love = Joy


It is just that simple.=)

No comments: